Saturday 9 February 2008

8th country!!!! So I´ve arrived safe and sound in Peru. I took a bus (supposedly 7 hours, but more like 10) from Loja in Ecuador to Piura in Peru. I haven´t done anything too exciting in the last few days so no beautiful photos to post. But I thought I might document one of my long bus journies, and what better than a border crossing. The photos reflect the journey, so if you find them boring, then perhaps travelling in S. A. doesn´t suit you! Please bear in mind that most of the photos were taken on/from a moving bus. So in cronological order...

Above the clouds, leaving the highlands in Ecuador:
Scenery, to compare with for later:
My reflection, well I did have to look at it for 10 hours!! (honey, can you flip it around for me xxx):
Police check point (not border) See my passport?:
The very first rice paddy fields I saw.. EVER:
Exit Ecuador:
Enter Peru:
Passport exit and entry stamps:
Road side restaurant, ( note I did not eat there nor will I ever eat the meat!)
Craig, my border crossing buddy, and little curious girl:
Road side dwellings: Bad dubbed movie entertainment, a free flight to Peru to anyone who can name the actor (easy) and movie! :
Mud road... bump bump bump:
Peruvian dessert, and it´s really hot,´it won´t be long till I´ll be heading back up into my beautiful green highlands, me thinks:
Another police check point (and more desert): This region is famous for it´s limes. We also passed kilometers of mango plantations:
Unfortunitly, Peru isn´t the cleanest of countries. I had heard it from fellow travellers, but it´s horrible to see for yourself. The whole desert seems to be covered in rubbish. And it doesn´t always smell too nice either:
Another bus driver catching a rest in the shade of the luggage hold: So here I am now in Piura and I´m going to revert to the guide book for it´s elegant description.. " After several hours of crossing the vast emptiness of the Sechura Desert, Piura materializes like a mirage on the horizon, enveloped in quivering waves of heat. It´s hard to ignore the sence of physical isolation forced on you by this unforgiving environment." (I wish I conuld write like that)

xxx Roz

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing you had lots of sights to view ie changing scenery and a travel buddy for that bus journey. I cant imagine being on a bus for 10 hours! Got my level 4 on saturday!!! Im really proud of that! Caoimhe meabh and Kylie did it and got theirs to! Went paintballing for Dr Eoins birthday on sunday. I was really scared at first but it was great fun! Wrecked in work now. Sunny weekend frosty morning this morning. Miss you.
xx
Sara

Anonymous said...

Arnold Alois Schwarzenegger, when do I get the ticket! Do I get a bonus if I get the film? There are two it could be but I will go with collateral damge. It was my dad's 60th over the weekend, I did the speech for the siblings. It went well and it was short. Anyway I hope all is well with you. I see that Simon is back from madacasgar. I wonder did he see any penguins and where they as cool in real life as in the cartoon.