Saturday 10 November 2007

Hello again. Well I´ve moved on from Mexico City but I´m left with a wonderful impression. I´m not sure what I expected before I went there, but I was plesantly surprised. The Mexicans are incredibly friendly and helpful. The city centre is beautiful and very cosmopolitan. Every where you go, you´re surounded by music. There are much fewer tourists than I expected and it´s colder!!! But the traffic is as crazy as imagined. Crossing the street is a skilled art! I was also very surprised by one protest I walked into as I exited a muesum. Yesterday, I went to a idealic Spanish colonial town 3 hours south of Mexico City for the day. Taxco is tucked away into a hillside, with a maze of steep streets and markets. Today, I´m in Puebla, south east of Mexico City. It´s a city that really feels like Barcelona transplanted, full of colourful tiled buildings.
Today I also said goodbye to my first travelling buddy, Natalie. We met the first evening in the hostel and have kept eachother company for 4 days. Hopefully I´ll meet back up with her in Costa Rica. This is her surrounded by pots!Tomorrow I´m going to have a look at some more pyrimids, maybe with a Belgin couple who are staying in the same hostel. After that... follow the ´Gringo trail´south I guess. I might have to skip some sights due to the flooding in Tobasco. Every city, town and village I´ve been in and passed through are collecting emergency supplies,. Mexico City had a massive tent set up in the main square with food, water, medication, blankets and clothes. It was a bit shocking to see the 100 or so armed police and soldiers guarding it. I guess there are plenty of people in that city that would like to see that aid sent to them!! Anyway. More to come. Thanks for the comments, keep them comming. Sorry about the spelling. I´ll blame the clingfilm wrapped around the keyboard making it very difficult to see the keys.
Oh and check out my Simon´s progress in Madagascar here : Mad Exped

1 comment:

Lou&Pumpkin said...

Hi Roz, sounds like you are having a real adventure and if I wasn't nine months and 4 days pregnant I would be on a plane to join you. No sign of Pumpkin joining the world yet and as I look out at the winter weather here I don't blame him/her! Love, Lou x