Sunday 11 November 2007

Hola,
I´m in Oaxaca, a lively large town with a large student population. I came here yesterday from a 5 hour beautiful bus journey accross the mountains. I was going to stay an extra day in Puebla to see some ruins but I was told that a roof which was covering some murals fell, and the bus driver didn´t think it was worth it, so I´m here a day earlier.
The hostel has little quirks like a coy pond, roof fountains and spinning coloured lights on most of the walls!
I visited a local Sunday Market, which was excellent. I wish I could put up more photos of it, but I´d be here all night if I did. It´s the type of market that you can buy your meat alive, dead or cooked. It was full of indigenous wemon dressed in brightly coloured clothes. I had a fun time buying a Mexican blanket, haggling with no Spanish with a man who had no English.
I then went to a museum housing lots of Aztec treasures, including an amazing scull covered in turquoise. The photo of it isn´t the best because it´s behind glass, and well, I wasn´t really supposed to be taking the photo in the first place! The muesum also had a beautiful garden full of Mexican plants.

Following the botanical them, I then hopped on a (bone rattler) bus to see a really really big tree! It´s a 636,107 ton cypress about 3000 years old. Cool eh!

That´s all for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow thats a big tree!! Love the market photots, well done on haggling!!! I'd say that was an experience! I saw that protest in mexico city on the news!!! Its freezing here so enjoy the heat. My gas boiler went yesterday so Im crashing in a mates house, hopefully getting it fixed tomorrow. Heading to lahinch on friday, met a canadian girl paddler at a postgrad reception, she's coming to lahinch to meet everyone, still no rain but got a sweet run on the boluisce at the west white water weekend. Its damn released. Caoimhe won the boaterX and I came third (just followed Caoimhe down the river!! great craic!. Miss you-Sara