Wednesday 5 December 2007

A friendly cat!
So I stayed a night in San Pedro on Laco de Atitlan. A really big eruption happened about 80,000 years ago and blasted enought earth away to form a hollow which is now filled with water 300m deep and 128km sq! That´s a big blast! Well it created something beautiful. The local girls with banana leaves:In San Pedro, everywhere you look, or more like peek in through fences, the coffee process is going on. I found if I stared long enough, someone would come over and show me the beans and explain what they were doing, even though I don´t understand their Spanish!
I moved on from there already. I´ve been travelling by Chicken Buses. And sometimes there really are chickens on board. They are old USA school buses and are decorated extravigantly.

Unfortunitly, the roads in Guatamala aren´t so nice. Every road seems to be under construction and it looks like there isn´t much planning involved. They dig into a cliff, create a mess, the road gets covered by a land slide and the bus waits up to 2 hours till the road is cleared enough for traffic to pass, only to happen all over again a few miles on.

But no mater where you get held up, miles from a town, there are always wemon and small children selling anything and everything you can imagine, from fried chicken to clotheslines.

Now I´m in a place called Quetzaltenango. Everyone in Guatmala calles it Xela, pronunced Shella, which is a lot easier. I´ve enrolled in a Spanish school and am staying with a host mother. I have 4 hours of Spanish in the mornings, followed by two hours where I teach little Guatamalian children English. There are other organised social events. I´m going to stay a week, then maybe more? Three meals, my own room, hot shower (I haven´t had many of those so far) one on one Spanish tuition and the rest, all for 10 pounds a day! It´ll be scary at first, but hopefully worthwhile. Here´s the website for the school: http://www.languageselnahual.com/

More to come. xx R

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Roz sounds really really cool. Your blog is very good, it#s making me very jealous. No news here really, I'm keeping very busy with work and all. Simon's sister is lovely..
Hope your travels continue to go swimmingly!
xm

Lou&Pumpkin said...

Hi Roz, loving the blog - I've missed it while being incarcerated in Royal Shrewsbury Hospital so it's lovely to catch up with your progress. The photos are fantastic and the map is great.

Take care, Lou & Pumpkin (now known as Georgie!) x

*nicki* said...

more fantastic pictures senorita* the spanish school sounds briliant - reminds me I'll have to learn some spanish b4 I come over! maybe I'll find a cute spaniard to teach me :-)

Its been really stormy here lately - surf has been incredible in mayo with 30-40 ft waves. obviously i havent been surfing just observing !

Have to move out of blackrock before christmas - eeek. no idea where we'll go. fingers crossed sarah and davides house is ready and i can stay with them.

you look like your having an incredible time. What an amazing surprise for Simon to come home to Georgie Rose*

Love you. Nic*