Saturday 15 March 2008

After Machu Piccu, I followed the Gringo/Lonely Planet trail and went to Puno, from where you can get a boat to the floating islands in Lake Titicaca. The islands are totally made of reeds, floating on the roots of reeds pulled up from the lake bed. They were made origionally to avoid the waring clans on the main land. Now they are pretty much just a tourist attraction, but 2000 people still live on them.
I´ll be wearing some green fluffy hair bonbons that I got from the ladies on St. Patrick´s Day (tomorrow!) After Puno it was on to Bolivia, 9th country! I crossed the border into my first Bolivian town called Copacabana (not the famous beach in Rio, Brazil... not yet :-)) and I was greeted by a beautiful sight... a shop with giant bags of popcorn and bottles of spirits!!!!
The road to La Paz gave me a glimpse of what the scenary will be like in Bolivia, and I´m excited!
Outskirts of La Paz, (Bolivia has 3 million Llamas)

La Paz, 3660 metres, highest city in the world (Carrantuohill 1038m, Dublin 68m at highest point!)


xxx r Map.. with Bolivia!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Roz,
Glad to see you still seem to be having an absolutely amazing time! I love reading your blog (even if it does make me insanely jealous when I'm reading it in horrible work!)
Enjoy Bolivia,
Claire xxx

Anonymous said...

Hey Roz,
Hope you had a good Easter and they do the whole Chocolate egg thing in South America. You seem to be having an amazing time!
Maria x