Sunday 2 March 2008

I have made it to Cusco, capital city of the Incas, and you can really see it. When the Spanish came, they tore down the Inca temples in the town and so all that remains are the bases of walls. They then realised that the Inca walls withstood earthquakes completely while their colonial buildings crumbled, so they then built their new city using the foundations of the Inca buildings they had just torn down..... I know I´m rambling on, but.. well it´s cool ok! Here is one of the more famous stones to have survived... with twelve sides!I have also acquainted myself with Paddy O´Flaherty´s. Just like home: Today I took a bus out of Cusco to a small town called Pisac and enjoyed the colours and smells of the Sunday Market:
And an hour´s hiking behind the town also brought me to some Inca ruins, famous for their terracing:
Rainy season in the highlands means getting very wet and sometimes limited views. But it also means lower prices, fewer tourists, lush green countryside and so many different types of wild flowers:
That´s all for now, but you can be sure to expect more stone wall photos to come!

No comments: